Based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
February 5, 2019
Ages 4+, E for everyone, USK 0, PEGI 3, IARC 3+
43 MB on Android, 115.7 MB on iOS
Commercial construction happens from the ground up with the help of iron workers, carpenters, operating engineers, laborers, cement masons, and many other trades. It takes a number of skills to be a builder, including spatial awareness, plan reading, and the ability to understand order of operations.
Ground Up Construction gives the player a hands on introduction to commercial building, forcing them to put their skills to the test. See if you can master 100 puzzles where you’ll build everything from convenience stores to skyscrapers. Follow the plans correctly, and see your building come to life. Make a mistake, and be forced demolish and start over.
Ground Up Construction aims to build awareness of the career opportunities in the building trades, and was made possible by the generous contributions of the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Iron Workers, Local Union Number 3, the Ironworker Employers Association of Western Pennsylvania, the Master Builders’ Association of Western Pennsylvania and the Construction Advancement Program of Western Pennsylvania.
- 100 levels of increasing difficulty
- Challenging puzzle-style gameplay
- Transforming levels upon successful completion
- Information and videos about life as a carpenter, cement mason, laborer, operating engineer, and iron worker
- Direct links to career opportunities in the construction trades
Simcoach Games, the Master Builders’ Association of Western Pennsylvania and the Construction Advancement Program of Western Pennsylvania began development on Ground Up Construction in September 2018. The purpose of the project was to develop a game that would build awareness to career opportunities in commercial building construction and to connect players to real life construction apprenticeships. The design of the game was informed by veteran commercial builders and apprentices in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Through an iterative development process, involving several rounds of prototyping and playtesting with members of the target audience, Ground Up Construction was developed.
The aim of the game was find something that could encompass several key traits of commercial building workers. Those included: Reading plans, ordering, spatial awareness and math/measuring. After several rounds of design ideas and discussion with our development partners we landed on a puzzle block gameplay style based on pentomino pieces. Similar to Tetris blocks, but made of five blocks instead of four.
Players would have to read plans, decipher block placement using spatial awareness, measure out the correct blocks needed to fill and place the blocks in the correct order. Upon completion players would be presented with the fruits of their labor in seeing the block transformed into a finished structure. Throughout the game players are educated on the trades involved in commercial building including apprenticeships and career paths.
The game is part of the Simcoach Skill Arcade, a technology platform that links players to training and job opportunities through gameplay.
About the Developer
Simcoach Games is a Pittsburgh-based technology spin-out of Carnegie Mellon University, dedicated to creating video games that inspire and connect individuals to job opportunities. Since 2005, we have partnered with industry leading organizations in construction, manufacturing, healthcare, retail, and government to produce free and engaging games that help players discover their aptitudes and interests. The Simcoach Skill Arcade is an innovative bridge that spans the gap between people with the skills to be successful in careers and the organizations that need them today and in the future. Whether we are educating a workforce, getting young professionals hired or helping players discover their unique skills and aptitudes, we are committed to exposing next generation talent to promising career paths. Join us as we prepare the workforce of tomorrow with the most innovative technologies of today. For more information, visit www.simcoachgames.com.
About our Partners
The Master Builders’ Association of Western Pennsylvania and the Construction Advancement Program of Western Pennsylvania.
The International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Iron Workers, Local Union Number 3
The Ironworker Employers Association of Western Pennsylvania
- What is the game about?
- Solve block puzzles using commercial construction skills to construct buildings and learn about the commercial building trades.
- Who sponsored the game and why was it made?
- The game was sponsored by
- Simcoach Games
- The International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Iron Workers, Local Union Number 3
- The Ironworker Employers Association of Western Pennsylvania
- The Master Builders’ Association of Western Pennsylvania and the Construction Advancement Program of Western Pennsylvania
- It was created to inspire and attract future commercial building construction workers and apprentices.
- The game was sponsored by
- Where can it be downloaded?
- Are there other games like Ground Up Construction?
- Simcoach worked with the Local 66 Operators of Western Pennsylvania on games to attract future operators to the field in the same way as Ground Up did for commercial builders. You can check out other games made by Simcoach Games on the company’s games page.
- Dig In: An Excavator Game is available for download on Google Play, iOS App Store, and the Amazon Appstore.
- Dig In: A Dozer Game is available for download on Google Play, iOS App Store, and the Amazon Appstore.
- Hooked! A Tower Crane Game is available for download on Google Play, iOS App Store, and the Amazon Appstore.
Content expertise provided by:
- Bob McCall
- Dave Plutt
- Jeff Nobers
- Jim Frantz
- John Mascaro
- John Sebastian
- Mary Ann Berg
- Steve Massaro
- Dave Daquelente
- Bryon Lagania
- Sarah Will
- Adam Chizmar
- Matt Denton
- Garrett Kimball
- Anthony Zabiegalski
- Blair Parr
President and CEO
- Ken Smith
Chief Games Officer and Founder
- Jessica Trybus
Special thanks to the following organizations for their help in playtesting:
- ACE Mentor Program
- Boys and Girls Club of Western Pennsylvania
- Hampton High School
- Anthony Bishop
- JT Nelligan
- Josie Riegel
- Griffin Emyei
- Owen Hastings
- Jacob Legros
- Rose Melchar
- Annalise Seebacher
- Mascaro Construction Co
- Massaro Construction Group
- Perry High School
- Sarah Heinz House
- Sto-Rox Junior Senior High School
- Emma Pfennigwerth
- Kathryn Warner
- Tre’Von Campbell
- Cateo Hilton
- Kacy-Ann Tibby
- Ajanae Monroe
- Trinity Griffin
- Chrystal Sircely
- Sean Mitchell
- AJ Plata
- Sleepless [Prod. Oculus]
- Universe [Prod. Oculus]
- Nightlife [Prod. Oculus]
- Starlight [Prod. Oculus]
- Voyager [Prod. Oculus]
- Lucid Dreams [Prod. Oculus]
- Kame House [Prod. Oculus]
- Oculus_Official: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEYDdiQBReJNoSkji0zRmw
- Sunbirds – BOCrew (feat. THEDEEPR / THECORNER / feat : FORENSIC)
- All Licensed under: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0